The Healthy Schools (NHSS) initiative links good health and behaviour to achievement both at school and after, through a whole school approach. This approach has four themes, PHSHE education, healthy eating, emotional well being and last but not least PHYSICAL ACTIVITY (PA). PA is wider than PE, and is targeted at the whole school. A Healthy School should provide access to a range of activities that add up to a minimum of two hours structured PA each week for all of its students.
Danceclub's dance mat packages contribute directly to achieving the aims of NHSS by providing fun physical activity, and in a way that is very attractive to students that are otherwise disengaged from PE. Fitness, inclusivity, fun, usability, and extendability are all important elements of our packages. They can also be used in Extended Schools and PESSYP programmes. Use the links for further information:-
- Follow this link to read about Cornwall Healthy Schools response to their dance mats.
- Dance games provide real aerobic fitness and so contribute to the Structured Physical Activity hours provision, follow this link to a summary of research for further information.
- NHSS places great emphasis on whole school provision. Our dance mat system promotes inclusivity in a number of ways: those disengaged from traditional PE are attracted to the activity, widely differing abilities and ages can compete at the same time, inclusivity options are available, and the packages have applications within SEN.
- Fun comes as standard in all the games in both our Just For Schools entry level software and our BlufFit top of the range system
- Usability means that the system, once set up, can be run by the participants themselves without any significant supervision as the games can be controlled from the dance mats.
- Our dance mat packages are also ideal for meeting the 5 hour offer central to the PESSYP initiative, and provide a varied menu of activities highly suitable for Extended Schools clubs.
- Our dance packages extend participation to home and family, and local authority youth clubs and similar extended neighbourhood services.
The packages that spread your budget and the activity the furthest are the Just For Schools 2 and Just For Schools 4 systems, as used by Cornwall Healthy Schools. Our top of the range system that gets the most pupils active at the same time is the BluFit Multifit 8-64 mat system with its innovative StreetFeet dance software, and other optional active games that use dance mats as controllers . These include FleetFeet virtual athletics game and a mini game package with fitness number and brain training games included